Sunday, May 16, 2010

Flip-flop Laser Centerboard Handle?

There are many ways to rig a Laser, but here is something that I don’t recall seeing before. I’ve been trying a “flip-flop” centerboard handle to help with access and organization of the three Laser sail shape control lines (vang, cunningham, and outhaul). The main idea is to keep the lines close to the gunnel for easy access while hiking. If it happens to be flipped to the wrong (leeward) side, it’s pretty easy to very briefly lean in to flip it to windward.

The flip-flop handle is easily made by folding over some 7 mm line twice so that the shaft is composed of three lines with a triangular cross section. Wrapping with several layers of plastic tape results in an appropriate degree of stiffness. One end of the handle is attached to the centerboard using a hole near the top aft corner. The three control lines are tied to the free end of the handle. It’s about 24 inches long. I believe it should be class-legal.

So far I’ve used it on a couple of race days at a great local club in Duxbury, Massachusetts. It seems to be working out pretty well. Besides the easy access while hiking, it tends to keep the excess line away from the main sheet block which otherwise can be easily jammed. If the control lines become tangled on the deck, a quick whip motion of the handle helps to free them up. When you are positioned aft while sailing downwind, access for the adjustments just before rounding the leeward mark is also improved by angling the handle a bit aft.

If you think it might be helpful, give it a try.

Eric

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very useful idea. I've just checked the class rules and I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be legal. I might give it a try myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back in the 1980's When Trophy Wife and I (& son) went through five Lasers, we never thought of this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a very good idea. Do you have any ideas on how to prevent those lines from getting caught in the center board trunk? That always a problem for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The flip-flop centerboard handle might help keep the lines away from the centerboard trunk too. Also, I use 5 mm rather than the 4 mm Maffioli Swiftcord for the control lines which seems to run through the blocks OK. I don't think I've had any trouble with the lines jamming in the centerboard trunk recently.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting idea, but what I'm intrigued by is your sight lines on the deck. I've considered making lines a little like that to help judge if I can cross ahead of another boat. What do you use your lines for?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Originally I had visions of using sight lines for all sorts of things, but in practice I use them in two situations. I use the 90 degree line to help judge when I am at the lay line just before the last tack from port to starboard at the windward mark. I use the 45 degree line to remind me that if the windward mark bearing is more than 45 degrees from straight ahead, the other tack might get me to the mark faster. I suspect that better Laser sailors than me have no need for sight lines.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eric. You have now been using the "Flip-Flop" handle for some 2+ months now. Just wondering how you have found your innovative solution to line management over this time? It would be great to get your views.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am still finding it useful to keep the lines from tangling, and for easier access when hiking. I have not had a problem with the lines getting sucked into the mainsheet block since I started using it. I did try moving the attachment point to the forward part of centerboard where the shock cord attaches which also works well, but is a little further away to grab when hiking. Overall, I have been happy with it. It is a pretty easy thing to try for yourself to see if you like it. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. interesting blog. It would be great if you can provide more details about it. Thanks you.

    Line Lasers

    ReplyDelete